Immediately following a car accident, everyone involved experiences a flood of emotions—shock and confusion—and find that you have more questions than answers. Millions of car accidents occur each and every year, making the chances of getting into one that much more likely. Even if you were not at fault for the accident, the claims process and all of the legal matters involved can be overwhelming. How can you prepare yourself if you find yourself in an unexpected situation?
Below, our Columbia car accident lawyers at Gump & Faiella offer some advice that may be useful if you find yourself dealing with the aftermath of a car crash. Keep reading our blog below!
PROTECTING YOURSELF AFTER AN ACCIDENT
We hope that the information below will be useful in protecting yourself if you have been in an accident. You will be working with insurance companies who will be in charge of determining who was liable for the accident, i.e., who caused it. Your actions and the words you say, even something that may seem harmless, such as “I’m sorry,” can be construed as an admission of guilt.
Here are some additional steps you should take:
- Do not leave the scene, even if the accident is a minor one.
- Call for emergency medical help if someone has suffered serious injuries.
- Take photos of the other driver’s license, plate, the scene, damage to the vehicles, and your injuries.
- Alert law enforcement, even if no one suffered injuries, as the police report can be helpful when it comes time to make your insurance claim.
- Stick to the facts when recounting details of the incident. Try not to guess or exaggerate the details, as your words can be mistaken as fault.
- Gather witnesses, if at all possible. Take down their names and phone numbers.
- Keep your insurance company informed about the incident. Most policies have a condition that requires you to report all accidents, even the minor ones. If you do not report the incident, they may refuse to offer coverage.
- Maintain all records of your medical treatments.
Lastly, the most important aspect of preserving your rights after a car accident is to discuss your case with seasoned Columbia car accident attorneys. Gump & Faiella has extensive experience representing clients and is backed by more than 90 years of working in the legal field.
If you have any questions about your car accident claim, please contact us today to request a free case review.