Many people have sleep apnea but may not be aware. They may also not know it is a driving danager. Sleep apnea, the unknwon driving danger, is extremely common among truck drivers. Studies have shown that 20 to 30 percent of automobile accidents that involve tractor-trailers occur due to sleep apnea. Proper diagnosis of the disease can be made by having a sleep study performed. There are different treatments for sleep apnea which could help reduce the amount of accidents on the road.
What is sleep apnea? Sleep apnea occurs when normal breathing is reduced due to the muscles in the back of the throat becoming too relaxed. When this occurs usually the person wakes up. Some people can wake up several times a night which can cause them to be extremely drowsy the next day.
Risk factors include:
- Obesity- Over half of people with sleep apnea are obese.
- Age- A person is more likely to suffer from sleep apnea if they are over age 40.
- Nasal Obstruction- People with allergies, sinus problems, and/or a deviated septum can be more prone to sleep apnea.
- Male- Men are twice as likely as women to have the disorder.
- A large neck- Men- larger than 17 inches, women- larger than 15 inches.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Trouble concentrating
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Loud Snoring
- Gasping and snorting
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
The danager from sleep apenea can be compounded from long hours on the road. Anyone who has the risk factors should see a doctor. Falling asleep at the wheel is danagerous for the driver, passengers and the motoring public. Put safety first, and arive alive.
If you were seriously injured or lost a loved one in a car wreck, contact Gump & Faiella to discuss your case. Our lawyers take a compassionate approach to each and every case we handle, and we are dedicated to getting our clients the results they deserve as quickly as possible.
If you were seriously injured in a car wreck, truck crash or another accident due to someone else’s negligence, contact Gump & Faiella to discuss your case. We represent clients in Moberly, Columbia, Jefferson City, Hannibal and throughout Missouri. Call 800-264-3455 to schedule a free initial consultation.